Thursday, July 5, 2018


Life, sink or swim.


So, I recently joined the permanent 'on leave' members of society.
Well as not being to fond of it, I immediately updated my CV and started searching for a new career.

I had this picture in my mind where my new job will be working in some fancy office and having leave over December holidays. 

Well, as I started searching it came very quickly to me that my position doesn't exist or the guy currently doing it hasn't resigned yet. And why would he any way?

I lowered my expectations a little and continued on sending my CV to what I call my busted dream jobs.

A week into it, and not really getting the feedback that I was looking for. I lowered my expectations even more and the only positive that I could think was its a job at least. I called these my 'rock bottom' jobs

On this particular morning nothing out of the ordinary happened. 
Around 10 am my phone rang, I didn't recognize the number but I just had that feeling this could be the call I have been waiting on. 

It was one of my Rock bottom applications. 

I won't use his real name or the company but if I had to guess a new name it would be Johan.

Now Johan works at a second hand car dealership and they are looking for a new salesman. I have never worked in this type of industry before.

The first interview was right there and then over the phone with me standing in my pj's.

It started like any interview with basic questions, but I was waiting on the car sales experience questions and I tried my best to steer the conversation in all different directions.

But then Johan asked. So what experience do you have in the car sales industry?
My heart just stopped, and I wished I concentrated more in geography to locate the closest black hole to suck me into a new dimension.

I paused, took a breath and said. Johan I have never worked in a sales position before.
I could hear Johan also trying to locate the closest Black hole to send me to, as I wasted his time and airtime.

But out of peer desperation I told Johan but I am very convincing, and think its a good attribute to have for a sales man.

Johan gave a very long pause, I think he might not had geography and that he is struggling to locate this black hole for me.
But Johan gave up that fight and said in a very serious and direct manner. Give me one example.

I could feel my brain going through 30 years of memory trying to locate this example that I need to convince Johan on my skill.

I might have said 'oja shit' out loud as I can remember my example of my convincing skills.

I told Johan about this group of friends of mine. We were looking for a boat to buy as we enjoyed fishing and want to ride over weekends and have some fun with it.

One of them found one on the internet and all 4 of us agreed that this needs be seen and decided if we will buy it.

Upon arriving me and one of the friends at the said boat, taking pictures sending it to the rest of the crew it became quickly clear that 2 have abandoned ship. They said its a piece of shit.

Well they have a lot more knowledge than the two of us so their concerns were true and factual.
One of them grew up with boats and the numbers just didn't add up for him and he knows boats in and out. 
Not being overturned by their comments. I convinced my friend to continue the transaction.

And to bring the story to the end, my friend is a proud owner of a boat that does not float.



Johan said he will let me know for a second interview, it's been a week now.


Food,Peace & PinkPudding

No comments:

Post a Comment